Tuesday, November 24, 2009

No cow in this pie!







This week I did things a little differently. Instead of making it on Sunday night, I did the recipe on Thursday. The reason I did this was because Adam and I were leaving to go out of the country and were going to be gone on Thanksgiving. My Dad and Glenda invited us over for dinner to celebrate early, so I figured it was the perfect time to make my moo-less chocolate pie.

This pie scared me a little bit at the beginning when I read it was made from tofu. I've never had tofu, but have heard some stories that weren't so pleasant about tofu. BUT this is all about making and trying new things, so I pushed my way through it. (FYI the enter is for you Ang and J...shoutout!). So first I started with a metal mixing bowl over a saucepan with simmering water in it (in essence a homemade double boiler) and melted the chocolate chips and kahlua together. I really wanted to stop here and just eat the melted chocolate and Kahlua, but didn't think everyone else would appreciate eating pie crust for dessert. Once the chocolate was melted down I added in 1t of vanilla and stirred it all together. Quickly (so the choc. didn't harden) I placed the rest of the ingredients in a blender, silken tofu & 1T of honey. Make sure you empty the water out of the tofu before you place it in the blender. After this, I placed the melted chocolate mixture in the blender with the tofu and honey and blended everything together until it was creamy.

Instead of making the pie crust this recipe called for pre-made chocolate wafer crust. I had only ever heard of vanilla wafers so had no clue where to find a chocolate wafer crust. I looked up and down the cookie isle to see if chocolate wafers even existed. I found the chocolate sugar wafers, but no chocolate cookie wafers. I then made my way over to the pie crust isle and found a chocolate cookie pie crust and just convinced myself this is what the recipe meant by chocolate wafer crust. So once the mixture was creamy I simply poured it into the pre-made pie crust and made the journey to my Dad's house.

Once we got there, I placed the pie in the fridge and it calls for it to sit 2 hours in the fridge. This was perfect because it gave us time to eat and chat before we had dessert. Glenda and Dad made the perfect meal! We had chicken parmesan, zucchini wth a tomatoe sauce, mashed potaoes and rolls. It was the perfect pre-Thanksgiving meal!

We pulled the pie out of the fridge and my Dad and Adam has the first pieces. I was a little worried because no one was saying anything at first. It seemed like an eternity but finally they all assured me it was delicious. Believe it or not Adam, who doesn't even like sweets, said that this was his favorite recipe I have made from the book to date. So sorry Pressure Cooker Chili, you got trumped! Everyone said it tasted almost like a chocolate mousse and agreed it would be best paired with a cup of coffee. A huge thanks to Dad and Glenda for having us over and agreeing to try tofu pie!!

I will definitely be making this pie again! I might not tell people prior to eating what ALL the ingredents are, but hopefully after trying it and me letting them know it is healthy for them, they will have more of an open mind when it comes to unconventional ingredients.

Recipe Rating: SUPER Easy
Good Leftover: Great, but make sure to cover with saran wrap overnight so it doesn't dry out.
Tip: Have a cup of hot joe at hand when eating, because this pie is RICH!
Stay tuned in 2 weeks- Pineapple Upside-Down Cornmeal cake

You can find the Moo-less Chocolate Pie recipe here:

No comments:

Post a Comment